Yesterday, I turned 28!
And although I felt too lazy to celebrate my birthday (does it get harder every year or what?), I still somehow managed to pull it off with great cheer amongst great company.
The day started out terribly enough, reminding me that there are some incredibly mean and nasty people in this world.
But by the end of the day, my faith in humanity was restored.
In fact, I was feeling pretty good! Thanks to the help of so many terrific people in my life.
My family, of course, is my most constant source of love and support. And in my 28 years of life, I’m happy to have accumulated such cool and super caring friends.
I feel… blessed. Really! I can think of no other way to put it.
Last year, I wrote about 27 Lessons To Learn By The Time You Are 27.
Making lists like this is my way of coping with aging and the inevitable.
This year, I’m writing down a list of 28 things I’m looking forward to!
Most of them are things I’m wishing will happen during my 28th year of my life…
But okay, if we’re going to be honest, a lot of them will probably remain just that.
The running theme of this list… settling down and the accumulation of THINGS.
I know, I know.
It runs counter to the minimalist and non-materialistic way of life that I’ve been living.
During these past 6 years, living the nomadic life means I have not been able to hang on to anything.
I’ve learned the importance of carrying around only the bare essentials and letting go of useless weight.
But damn it. I’m tired of that kind of life.
I’m not saying I’m going to suddenly go on a materialistic hoarding rampage.
I will always prefer minimalism and functionality over mindless accumulation.
But settling down just means I can now allow myself to have more… essentials.
So, without further ado!
The 28 Things I’m Looking Forward In My 28th Year Of Life:
1) Finally being able to own a yoga mat.
2) And a blow dryer.
3) And everything else I’ve put off buying because I couldn’t carry them around with me.
4) Having a normal-sized closet.
5) Spiffing up my wardrobe & fashion style.
6) Sprucing up my cooking skills in a normal-sized kitchen. As opposed to a kitchen for Lilliputians.
7) Owning a juicer.
8) Having a regular rhythm in my life.
9) Having a bicycle again!
10) And being able to get around town on said bicycle.
11) Living near one of my bestest friends whom I’ve missed dearly. Fingers crossed!
12) Making new friends, especially friends who share my passion for beauty and fashion and healthy living.
13) Going on a road trip along the western coast of North America.
14) Hanging out in the deserts of California.
15) Finally being able to use our telescope under dark clear skies.
16) Being immersed in the creative entrepreneurial environment of the California bay area.
17) Exploring my options in the beauty industry. Should I pursue becoming a make-up artist, an esthetician or a cosmetic scientist? Hmm…
18) Owning a set of high-quality makeup brushes and being able to take good care of them.
19) Writing regularly on my blog, with more in-depth and varied topics.
20) Focusing more on the Ziba Shop; adding more products, marketing, renovation of the site.
21) Regularly getting better quality sleep, which will naturally come about because I will finally have a regular rhythm in my life.
22) Living closer to nature. Taking hikes in the woods and breathing in fresh salty ocean air.
23) Joining a dance group and dancing more.
24) Having more space in my life! Space to MOVE! Glorious space!! Keep in mind that I was living in a shoebox in Paris.
25) Filling that space with plants. Lots and lots of oxygen spewing plants!!
26) Brushing up on my Spanish without completely losing my French.
27) Reading more books.
28) Finally having a place to call Home.
To my readers, I want to say… thank you for hanging in there with me.
From here on, things are gonna get sunnier and brighter for us:)