My Time In Paris Is Drawing To An End

Monday May 20, 2013 | Musings Travel

A year and a half!

That’s how long I’ll have lived in Paris by the time I leave next month.

My unconsummated love affair with this maddeningly beautiful city is now quickly coming to an end.

I’ve known it for months. But I’ve just been hesitant to say it on this blog. Mainly because Ziba has always been a blog based in Paris.

Paris is, after all, the city where Ziba was born.

In fact, Paris is where many of my colorful plans and daring dreams have taken shape.

And I’d willingly stay forever if I could. But in order for me to move forward with my dreams and my goals, I have to leave this place. And I have to be open to the changes in my life that are coming.

Yet, it’s been a blast! I’ll be taking many magical memories with me. All those long meandering walks and bicycle rides, the fresh baguettes and buttery croissants, the friends and smiling folks in my neighborhood, surprise bobo art shows, dancing around in rock concerts, picnicking by the river, planting little plants on our balcony, gazing at the moon through our telescope…

And yet, it hasn’t entirely been picture-perfect either. There have also been moments of pure frustration. The kind of frustration you get from living in a super tiny apartment in the attic somewhere in the heart of the heart of Paris. Picture lots of things falling out of small cabinets and onto your head, bumping elbows with door frames and tripping on stacks of books…

But in the end, I know my boyfriend Oliver and I will always look back at this time in our life with much laughter and happiness.

And so, you ask, where am I going now? Well, in the fashion of true nomads, all I can say is… well, right now I can’t say for sure yet.

Yeah, I knoow. Crazy, right? But this is the way I’ve been living my life for the past six years. And I’m just trying to get to a place (both physically and figuratively) where life will finally be a little more stable.

As of right now, all I know is that life is taking us farther and farther out west.

And so, what does this mean for you, my dear readers?

It means that you are getting a change of scenery. It also means, you are going to start seeing more and more reviews of non-French cosmetics. And alas, I think it might also mean that my blog posting schedule will be a little more erratic as I go through another transitional period in my life.

But, in the spirit of true nomads, I have this feeling that years from now… yes, many years from now…

My path will lead me right back here again…

To Paris.

Parisian Sidewalk

Looking out into Paris

Peacocks in Bois de Vincennes

Parisian Barge, passing through

Paris Bridge Walkway

A Light Above

Photos taken by and copyright of Oliver Squibb.

17 Responses to “My Time In Paris Is Drawing To An End”

1. Tacey says:

Awwww! I can’t imagine the mixed emotions you must be experiencing… Paris is already a part of me and I was there for a minute! Thank you for sharing!!!

• Kareen says:

Mixed emotions is about right! What you say reminds me of something Hemingway wrote, “If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.” Thanks for stopping by Tacey!!

2. Jen says:

I’m sure, with your positive attitude, things will be great no matter where you are! And so will the blog=)Good luck in your ventures!

• Kareen says:

Dearest Jeni!! Your words mean a lot to me! Even though we have been miles and miles apart for far too long, I really appreciate all the positive vibes you’ve been sending my way. Hope you can feel the good vibes I’m sending your way too! <3

3. WHAAAAAAAAT ?? WHAAAAAAT ? OMG ! YOU ARE LEAVING PARIS !
    WHY ??? WHEN ??? WHEEEEEERE ???
    NEED TO SEE YOU IN EMERGENCY !

• Kareen says:

Mais Si, Si!!! Je pars, dans un mois!!! Et, j’ai juste un tout petit cadeau que je voudrais te laisser avent que je pars! Donc, c’est pour ça qu’on doit se voir dès que possible!!!!! URGENCE!!!

4. Kristele says:

I know the feeling as I have lived there for 13 years… but I’m not far (in London) though it will never be the same. Living in a city isn’t the same at all as being there just for holidays.
    You have to cherish the great memories and emotions that the most beautiful city in the world has given you but I’m sure even more wonderful dreams and projects are awaiting. You see, it’s only when I left Paris that I have make my project come true. So I feel it’ll be the same for you!
    Keep faith, believe in yourself and keep in mind your dreams!
    Keep in touch!!! xoxo

• Kareen says:

Aww, thanks Kris! Such kind words… yeah, and you’re right, living in a city is just not at all the same as visiting for vacation. And yeah, Paris is still the most beautiful city in the world for me. Though I’ve heard that Venice is the only other city that can rival the beauty of Paris, though I haven’t been to Venice so maybe you know something about this. I’m really glad that you and I have Paris and our dreams in common! Thanks for that :)

5. Ila says:

Good luck darling!
    It is a brave decision, but it always is when you decide to take it by the hand instead of running away from it..
    Be lucky and looking forward to read more of you from wherever you are in the world :)

Ila x

6. Je suis contente que tu ais trouve mon blog :)
    Et je suis sure que le beurre, les baguettes et les croissants vont te manquer ;)
    But we grow as individuals by moving forwards, and sometimes it involves moving to different places.
    All the best, and I’m sure wherever you end up next you will have a blast (and a bigger apartment?)

• Kareen says:

Salut ma belle! Ouai, les pains et les pâtisseries de Paris sont TOP, en fait, j’ose à dire… les meilleurs dans tout le monde!!! Ce que va me manquer aussi, c’est le besoin de parler/écrire en français. Mais je suis super contente de trouver des bloggeuse bilingues (comme toi!) avec qui je peux pratiquer la langue.

Yes, yes, more growing, more adventures and a bigger apartment! I hope so too ;D thanks for stopping by Helene!

7. Ali says:

New beginnings are so exciting. I’m looking forward to reading more about your adventures, wherever they take you chick!

Ali x

8. Julia says:

I wish I was as brave as you to live your life so free! I’m sure where ever you land will be just as exciting as Paris. I’m very curious to see where you end up, and who knows you may end up inspiring me too!

• Kareen says:

You never know, maybe in a couple of years you’ll find yourself in Paris! Being nomadic definitely has its down sides, but it’s true, I’m super excited for our next move!

9. Love these b&w shots x